After downloading the SQL Server 2014, mount the media file downloaded and run “setup.exe”
In SQL Server Installation Centre click on “Installation”
Click on “New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation”
Note that if you have any of previous versions of SQL Server installed on your machine the setup process will fail because this release of SQL Server cannot be installed in until the existing instances of SQL Servers are uninstalled.
If you click on “Failed” you can read the complete error message that is “Previous SQL product installation failed. A SQL product other than SQL Server 2014 CTP1 is detected. You cannot install this release until the existing instances of SQL products are uninstalled.”
Know you have to decide to uninstall the existing SQL Server instances or just installing SQL Server 2014 CTP1 on a clean installed virtual machine (VM). I selected the second approach. So, you’ll obviously need to redo all above steps and you’ll see that all requirements are ticked. Now click OK.
If you didn’t have any other SQL Server instances installed in you machine you’re safe and just move forward to the other steps.
In this step you should provide a product key or just simply go for evaluation edition and click next
- Accept the license terms and click next
- Wait for setup to install its files. This step might take some time to complete. It might take long time to complete this part, so please be patient.
- You may see this message after awhile, just simply click OK
- Now you should see the below window, click Next
- Here you should select the setup role to select which feature components to install in the next step. If you want to install all SQL Server 2014 features simply select “All Features With Defaults”. The default is “SQL Server Feature installation”. Click next.
- Now you need to select the features that you need and it really depends on your requirements or if you selected “All Features With Defaults” in the previous section all feature components should be ticked. So, select whatever you need here and click next.
Note: If you selected “SQL Server Feature Installation” remember to tick “Management Tools- Complete” to install AMR tool that will be used for planning migration from disk-based OLTP to in-memory OLTP in the future.
- Click next
- Enter the instance name here or stick with the default “Default Instance”. As I always prefer to have a named instance I entered a “SQL2014” for the named instance. Click next.
- In “Disk Space Requirements” section click next
- In “Server Configuration” you can simply click next to go to the next stage. However, in real world it is not exactly the case. It is recommended to create a service account for every SQL Server service. In this case you need to change the account name by clicking on “Account Name” and “<<Browse…>>” and select the particular account name for each service and you need to type the password for the account. You also can change the startup type for each service.
You can also customise “Collation” settings for database engine and analysis services here and click next
- In “Database Engine Configuration” you have the option to select either “Windows Authentication mode” or “Mixed mode”. If you select mixed mode you need to provide a password for sa (system administrator). It is not recommended to select mixed mode, however, it depends on your needs to select the authentication mode. Now you can add a user by clicking on “Add…” button or simply select “Add Current User” to add the current user as the SQL Server administrator.
If you want to change data directory settings you can click on the ellipsis and set new path for data directories.
You can change FILESTREAM settings here. Click next.
- In “Analysis Services Configuration” you should specify which server mode you want to install. You should also determine the administrator for analysis services by clicking on “Add…” button or “Add Current User” button to specify the current user as analysis services administrator. You can also click on “Data Directories” to change set a new path if you want. Click next.
- In “Reporting Services Configuration” use the default settings and click next.
- “Add Current User” in “Distribute Relay Controller” and “Distribute Replay Client” settings or just simply click next to go to the next steps. Continue the installation settings by clicking next in the next pages.
- Now the installation is started.
- You will need to restart your computer.
- The installation is done. Now go to start and as you can see SQL server 2014 is installed and ready to use
- Click on SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)-> Help-> About to see the product information
And finally, note that SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) is not a part of this pre-release installation and for this particular version of SQL Server no new version of SSDT BI been released. However, the existing version SSDT BI can be used to create and deploy projects for SQL Server 2014 CTP1. If you need to download the Visual Studio 2012 version of SSDT BI click here.